Sunday, March 25, 2007

On Beauty by Zadie Smith

I've devoted every (rare) spare minute available in the last 3 days to read the incredible 2005 novel by Zadie Smith, On Beauty. I can't remember the last time I've been so moved by a novel. This work is sheer genius. Incredibly compelling. A masterwork of our day and age. I know, I know--you've heard it before. And every time you trust someone who describes a movie, play or book with such high accolades, when you finally take the time to check it out, the results are disappointing. But--trust me!!--this reviewer is telling the truth!

It's hip, it reads like a dream, it's powerful--great god! I feel like I'm describing a new car!

Let's put it this way: I have ZERO spare time for the last 3 weeks; for the next month. None. Nada. Zip. I work constantly. I barely sleep. My father's ill. One family crisis after another. I have EVERY excuse in the world not to read this book. Why am I telling you this? Only to let you know that it is worth whatever miniscule amount of time you have available to READ THIS BOOK!!!

Google one less person a day. Do one less load of laundry. Put off that trip to Macy's for their sale (they have sales every weekend, for chrissake!). All of this is not a form of sacrifice--it's a way of making your life more fulfilling--by READING THIS BOOK!!

And then let me know what you think...

1 comment:

Karen said...

Okay, then—I certainly will. Also, we must talk about the new labels thing I see you're using. I know they're highly useful in the blogging world, but how?