Thursday, December 21, 2006

Patti Smith's Birthday Celebration at Bowery Poetry Club

Patti Smith changed my life. So as soon as I heard that Jackie Sheeler was planning a 60th birthday party for Ms. Smith, I begged to be a part of it. I played Patti Smith once on stage under the moniker "Padded Myth" (the nickname was an acknowldegement of the media's tendency to build up, then systematically attempt to destory everything good). I am more influenced by her work than any other female poet except Emily Dickenson (see "The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry" where Patti's on pages 82 through 91, and I'm on page 477). I spent hundreds of nights listening to her music while writing record and concert reviews for The Eye newspaper in the early 80s. And, for the past 20 years, through no fault of my own (no surgery, no makeover, nothing, honest!) I have been told that I look like Patti Smith.

All of this made me a natural candidate for being on the bill, I explained to Jackie via email.

Guess what?

Jackie understood! I'm reading at the Patti Smith Birthday Party, which is at the Bowery Poetry Club on Thursday, December 28th from 10 pm until... Please go! Other confirmed performers include Christine Goodman, Meagan Brothers, Jackie Sheeter, and The Bass Player from Hand Job. And maybe some of the band members from Patti Smith Group and maybe Patti. The whole night will be videotaped and given to Patti as a gift from the people who love her and her music.

Be there!

By the way, if you've never heard Jackie Sheeler's poetry, this will be a good chance to experience one the best poets in New York, or for that matter the world.

See you Thursday.

No comments: